I am currently writing a series of introductory philosophy books for Blackwell. These are aimed at students and general readers, and are intended to provide accessible guides to key philosophical themes and texts. For more information, see the My Books section below.
My aim is to publish regular reviews of philosophy books that are suitable for students or the general reader. As such, you are welcome to send me books for review. For more information, and all reviews to date, see the Reviews section below.
- General Information - info on my published books, forthcoming releases and how to order.
- A Beginner's Guide to Descartes's Meditations - An introduction to the Meditations. Includes summary of main arguments, background information (life of Descartes, historical context), critical analysis of main themes, and discussion of Descartes's correspondence with his contemporaries (the Objections And Replies), and a glossary of essential terms. Available Now.
- A Beginner's Guide to Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil - An introduction to Beyond Good And Evil. Contains destailed section-by-section summary of Nietzsche's text, identification and explanation of key concepts, critical analysis of main themes, useful background information (life of Nietzsche, historical and intellectual context) and a detailed glossary. Available Now.
- Words of Wisdom: Philosophy's Most Important Quotations and their Meanings - A whistle-stop tour of the history of philosophy via its most famous quotations. From Thales to Thoreau, from Augustine to Wittgenstein, from Diderot to Derrida, Words of Wisdom explains the meaning and context of some of the most famous philosophical pronouncements in history, all with the author's trademark humour and desperate need for cash. Available Now.
- General Information - info on how to submit a book for review and my LAUD rating system.
- Descartes - A fascinating and fresh approach to Cartesian philosophy, ideal for providing a different perspective on familiar ideas.
Rating: U D
- Nietzsche Within Your Grasp - a useful brief overview of Nietzsche's thought, useful both for those new to Nietzsche, and students looking to make connections between Nietzsche's works.
Rating: L A U
- Theory of Knowledge (Access to Philosophy) - an excellent little introduction to the subject, ideal for beginning A-Level students.
- Frontiers of Consciousness - a somewhat challenging and specialist, but in places useful and accessible overview of various contributions to the contemporary debate on consciousness.
- Darwin's Origin of Species: A Biography - a very interesting, readable and well-written account of how this world-changing book came to be written.
Rating: L A U D
- Watchmen - for long a classic of the comic book genre, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' study of superhero frailties and the paradoxes of power is a fascinating and satisfying read.
Share this Page
Click on one of the icons below to share this page using any of the listed sharing sites (it inserts the link for you, so you don't need to add it manually). Let me know if any sharing sites you commonly use aren't here, and I will add them.