Philosophy Online Forum  
09/06/11 @ 07:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philosophy News: 30th September 2010  (Read 931 times)
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« on: 30/09/10 @ 12:43 »

This is the inaugural newsletter-type-thing for all philosophy-related news. People occasionally contact me asking to publicise their book, website, event or whatever. However, there hasn't until now been a neat place to put such things - so here we are.

First up, University College London has started the Transcribe Bentham project, the goal of which is to involve volunteers in transcribing the original and as-yet unstudied manuscript papers of the father of utilitarianism, Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832). If you wish to get involved, to discuss the works of the great man, or simply want to see what's going on (and check out progress on the Benthamometer!), then you can visit the site here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/transcribe-bentham/

In Cagliari, Sardinia (Italy), Teatro Stabile della Sardegna will be presenting a new season of productions on themes inspired by the work of renowned Sardinian philosopher Remo Bodei, who teaches at the university of Los Angeles. The new productions look at the theme of "I Ritorni" ("Returns"): from mythical motifs - shipwrecks, losses, recoveries - to the adventure of travel. Productions begin in October. More information can be found on the theatre's Italian website: http://www.teatrostabiledellasardegna.it/

Descartes...Putain! is a free-to-read graphic novel by Lucian Monnier. Unfortunately, my French is not very good, so I cannot tell you much about it, except to say that it has a simple, loose, cartoony style, and contains adult themes ("putain" means "wh*re" - I have self-censored for the benefit of your web filters!). You can check it out here: http://www.descartes-bande-dessinee.com/

Finally, and perhaps most intriguingly, Chow Yun-Fat (he of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fame) is the star of an ambitious biopic of the life of the great Chinese philosopher Confucius. With the lush cinematography and epic action scenes that seem to be the trademark of this brand of oriental cinema, the film looks a feast for the eyes (at least, judging by the trailer - which you can see here: http://www.cine-asia.co.uk/trailer/CONFUCIUS/174/). However, much as I'd like to see an eminent philosopher kick butt, will it also be a feast for the mind? If I can blag a review copy, then I will let you know. Confucius is now available on DVD and Blu-Ray from the usual places.

That's all for now. Please contact me with any newsworthy news.
« Last Edit: 30/09/10 @ 12:46 by Gareth Southwell » Logged

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
JamyWebb

« Reply #1 on: 16/05/11 @ 15:54 »

Hi Gareth,
             Love the Forum! On a more local level i'd like some advice surrounding which philosophical texts to discuss at a future symposium i am having in my outdoor jacuzzi, what do you suggest? You're more than welcome to attend, last months turn out was a slight disapointment but as the weather picks up i hope so will the numbers

Please reply for more info

Yours

Jammy "Big Boy" Wedd

Il provide the wine, you provide the fun  Wink
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 16/05/11 @ 16:29 »

Hi Jammy,

Thanks - glad you're enjoying the forum. And thanks for the invite! Though I will have to regretably decline - due to work commitments, and the fact that you sound slightly insane.  Grin

As for suitable texts for a symposium, what about Plato's Symposium? I think, if I remember correctly, it has some drinking games you can use as ice breakers, and there may even be some philosophy in it. Other than that, I would advise against mixing wine and water - "drinking and diving", as I belive it's commonly termed.

Good luck with everything though!

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: