Philosophy Online Forum  
09/06/11 @ 07:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nietzsche, Darwin & Time: From Scientific Evolution to Metaphysical Speculation  (Read 1116 times)
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« on: 10/10/10 @ 15:52 »

Prof H. James Birx compares the vital but different contributions of Nietzsche and Darwin to evolutionary theory.

You can download the essay here: www.philosophyonline.co.uk/philosophy-study-resources/nietzsches-beyond-good-and-evil/further-reading/#philosophical

Feel free to discuss any ideas or reactions you have below.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Scott
Teachers

« Reply #1 on: 12/10/10 @ 04:25 »

An interesting conjunction of two fascinating minds. I know too little about Nietzsche to comment really. However, the passage about our ape-like forefathers reminded me of this TED talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/susan_savage_rumbaugh_on_apes_that_write.html

I am also inspired to see what I can find out about Dawkins' views on Nietzsche!
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 15/10/10 @ 16:23 »

Very interesting video - cheers for this, Scott. I think the idea that intelligence is largely cultural ( as opposed to biological) in an intriguing one. Of course, culture can only build upon minimum genetic capacity - there are probably limits to what even a bonopo ape can learn.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: