Philosophy Online Forum  
09/06/11 @ 07:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civilization  (Read 234 times)
nostromo

« on: 12/05/11 @ 17:03 »

I want to discuss the concept of civilization.

I feel we as humans regardless of whether we are conditioned or not, are humbled by the laws/quantum laws of the universe. I believe we can all relate in some way, to the question of civilization and what it means. But in a similar vein, I feel it is a complex and humbling endeavor when pursued purposefully.

I wonder is civilization a journey or a destination? The more I try to grapple with what's going on in this reality of a host planet and her (a) civilization(s), the more I feel I can relate to or empathize with almost every point of view.

We are biological beings and we are limited primarily to experiencing our planet in a physical sense. We satisfy our physical needs to fuel our higher needs. I believe that deep down, we are scared to let go of this physical wheel.

Every civilization has some element of control at it's core, but I can't think of one that had a contagious effect on people. Our die has been cast and most of us will find some fault with the civilization we are part of. So that's the question I put forward to you, users of this forum, who take an interest in this question. What is contagious for you? What's your personal experience with your own little microcosm of civilization?

Mine resides with the nature of connectedness. There's a great deal of connectedness in our reality, and probably in many more ways than I can fathom. I like to believe the universe or some higher consciousness has lent me a hand in this matter, by demonstrating to me on a simple level that the wind blows the pollen and and the pollen goes where it may, sometimes to a plant, sometimes not. If there really is a higher consciousness to the universe, I think it has let go of the steering wheel, and I see great wisdom in this if true. At some point, surely even the greatest mind ought to be overwhelmed by complexity. Is it wrong to challenge ourselves with 'things' we cannot understand? I don't think it is, in moderation. But yet, at some point it seems inevitable that there will be epic challenges that we are ill equipped to deliver a decisive answer to. Does the universe or it's consciousness - if there is one - really dictate whether a star erupts or a solar system is reborn? Should it? Would it need to? Could it want to?

I like to think the universe is a resigned mind in some regards. It has an acceptance that it's it's deep and it's really more a spectator, a learner, and an observer. Is this not the nature of consciousness? After all, do we not need to satisfy our need to be perplexed? Shouldn't the universe have this need, albeit at an arguably more complex, possibly vastly more complex level. To me it seems inevitable that the question of civilization and what it is, quickly escalates into a mode of acceptance that we cannot be challenged by something we are content with.

Perhaps, that's why it's said that history repeats itself. Is history not introvert? constantly re-examining itself, and perplexing itself. As sure as the planets enter into conjunction, in a repetitive cycle, and the sun oscillates as it does and orbits as it does, it repeats itself, and so we have a reality where history, in some way repeats itself. Is the universe in it's wisdom, not constantly and humbly re-examining itself and perplexing itself? Is the study of history not humbling?

In it's doldrums with this task, does the universe not want to occasionally quest for new paradigms, a new type of nebula or a new type of cosmic phenomena, always wanting to explore the latter as well as re-examining the former. And what of rebellion? Would the universe not want to test it's boundaries by experimenting with some unimaginable unconventional phenomena? Perhaps something that pierces into it's very being - a black hole maybe (frozen star).

But for all the phenomena that exist in this realm, the universe still appears to have some order, and we can learn a great deal from it. For all it's wisdom, and grandness, it still has some semblance of predictability. Does it not need to be grounded as we do, so that we can maintain ourselves and preserve ourselves?

And what of our interpretations of polarity? Does the universe not struggle with duality too? We have constructed a God and a Devil as dualities in a play. Is the Devil not the universe's subconsciousness and God the conscious thinker or vice versa? Surely every great mind must struggle with itself, question it's reason for being, doubt itself and it's constructiveness? It's subconsciousness acting as a nemesis, a tormentor.

Insert obligatory smiley:  Shocked
MoQingbird

« Reply #1 on: 12/05/11 @ 20:30 »

I wonder is civilization a journey or a destination?

IMO:

Civilization is a journey, not a destination.  When a civilization peaks (i.e. stagnates) it falls to other civilizations that have not stopped advancing.

This dynamic reflects the fact that the Universe is a process, not a result.  Once the Universe reaches the end of its process, it will be effectively dead.
nostromo

« Reply #2 on: 17/05/11 @ 06:15 »

I wonder is civilization a journey or a destination?

IMO:

Civilization is a journey, not a destination.  When a civilization peaks (i.e. stagnates) it falls to other civilizations that have not stopped advancing.

This dynamic reflects the fact that the Universe is a process, not a result.  Once the Universe reaches the end of its process, it will be effectively dead.

Well said. But if we take enough paces back from the Earth and conjure up something completely different into our imaginations, we could seem very alien from other perspectives. I believe all human works here on this Earth are part of a civilization in it's own right, and many beilieve, including myself, that this civilization is drawing to a close. I should say that I believe in the universe and all of it's creations therein as a devine work, a creation. I believe in a higher power, you could call him God. Our day of judgement may very well be drawing near and I can only hope that we are not too sidetracked to take stock of this. These days, I find some solace from the Bible.
MoQingbird

« Reply #3 on: 17/05/11 @ 14:45 »

Hmm, another way of putting my view comes for the fields of genetics/ecology/evolution.  Civilization is, in their terms, an arms race.  Civilizations co-evolve; if you stand still then you lose.

I believe in a lower power... that of the raw fabric of reality.  Everything else flows from its nature.

I believe in stepping closer to the Earth and seeing what is right in front of us, so that we can act as stewards of this place we inhabit.

I believe that all this will end, but not for many, many billions of years.  We are surfing a wave will eventually break on the shore and dissipate its energy, but we should be focusing on the ride - right here, right now - and not on its end.

I take comfort from the New Scientist, the Scientific American, and the explosion of knowledge about our internal and external realities that they report.  The world is a more amazing place than anything we can imagine.

Smiley
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: