Philosophy Online Forum  
13/03/09 @ 05:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 5403 times)
Alexander

« Reply #45 on: 04/03/09 @ 22:43 »

My name needs no explanation, and I hope to have a great learning experiance.

Am doing A level at Charterhouse School, Surrey, and I don''''t focus enough in my Philosophy classes. So I''''m here to learn and discuss topics I wouldn''''t otherwise do at school.
  Grin

Just like to say how amazing it is to be able to sign up to a forum with my own name!! I can''t believe there are no other Alex''s here. Normally I just use an Anglo-Polska compound (Olekander) Olek = alex Ander= last bit of the name Tongue.

“Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.” Maxim Gorky
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: 05/03/09 @ 09:13 »

Hi Alexander,

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps I should use that as advertising: The site where you can use your own name!

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Alexander

« Reply #47 on: 05/03/09 @ 12:00 »

Aha, yeah sounds like a good idea to me, I was shocked to see how few people have signed up the forum, when this site offers so many interesting answers.

ANyway, their loss.

I think you're in competition with a much bigger American website which does much the same thing. But I can't bear reading about articiles in which
Code:
"[s]Math"[s] and "Colo[u]r" and all those annoying differences take place. [/s]
« Last Edit: 06/03/09 @ 18:21 by Alexander » Logged

“Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.” Maxim Gorky
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: 05/03/09 @ 16:06 »

Their loss indeed!

Actually, to use a cafe analogy, I like to think of Philosophy Online as a local independent place, where you might spend a leisurely hour or so, chatting to the guy behind the counter, or else pop in for a quick think on your way to or from work. We have our regulars - a rag-tag bunch, but we like them! - and those who just stop by now and then. (I've just realised that I'm describing "Cheers!" if anyone remembers that?! - Where everybody can choose their own name, perhaps?).

We leave those big Starbucks-type philosophy sites to themselves - with their roaring trade in heated discussions and resources with extra shots and your choice of syrups. We plough our own furrough, and have a quiet confidence in our friendly, homely approach.

Y'all come back now, y'hear!

The Guy Behind The Counter.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
LostInAShaftOfSunlight

but you are the music while the music lasts...

« Reply #49 on: 06/03/09 @ 02:29 »

This forum is doing quite well and has great potential.  The key thing in this case is the 'guy behind the counter' - someone with things like background (for example a published author), tolerance for the stumblings and wrong paths of beginners (a teacher), humour, and a strong will to helpfulness, among others.  The handful of other forums i found had degenerated into a lot of nonsense, personal attacks or were just uninteresting.

If this is Cheers, then i want to be Harry the hat.

Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: 06/03/09 @ 11:25 »

Thank you - you are very kind.

Who was Harry the Hat? I can't remember him.

Alexander

« Reply #51 on: 06/03/09 @ 18:23 »

Cheers is not my time Sad. But I was having a funny discussion about the usage of this word on a language forum I go to. (My degree will be in french and russian). We were trying to work out when most people use it, and in what parts of the country. Anyway, this is not the place for that discussion Tongue!.

LostInAShaftOfSunlight

but you are the music while the music lasts...

« Reply #52 on: 07/03/09 @ 10:33 »

Sorry, i'm nothing if not obscure.

Harry the hat, was a local con man who appeared in a handful of episodes over the years, notably tricking Gary, of "Gary's Old Town Tavern", into demolishing his bar.  He would also con the Cheers regulars, but was very fond of them.

On a sad note, i just tried some Cheers quizzes online and it appears that my once encylopedic grasp of Cheeers trivia has mostly atrophied.   Cry

Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.
h.art

« Reply #53 on: 09/03/09 @ 17:45 »

hi!
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: 10/03/09 @ 00:50 »

Hi There! Welcome to the forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: