Philosophy Online Forum  
25/01/10 @ 21:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 21434 times)
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #90 on: 16/08/09 @ 06:55 »

Welcome! You are now officially not a robot - well done!

We look forward to your posts.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Gabby

« Reply #91 on: 21/08/09 @ 14:28 »

Hi
Have been looking for some answers to the universe and thought here might be a good place to start. Have never studied Philosophy, but have my own perception, and am considering some book buying.

As a total ignorant, how does philosphy sit with modern technology?
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: 21/08/09 @ 14:32 »

Hi Gabby,

Welcome to the forum. In it's broadest sense, philosophy is interested in the meaning of life, but most modern things that get called 'philosophy' are a lot narrower than that, so don't be too disappointed! Also, you'll end up with more questions than answers, probably, but the journey is important. Philosophy can't decide everything for you, and some things are left up to personal choice or even faith.

As for modern technology, philosophy's got nothing against it as such. What did you have in mind? Perhaps you could start a thread and expand a bit?

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
jakeshuttlesworth

« Reply #93 on: 03/09/09 @ 20:02 »

hi Huh
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #94 on: 03/09/09 @ 20:49 »

Hi!  Grin

GregKaye

« Reply #95 on: 04/09/09 @ 12:26 »

Hi,

I can assure you that I am not a robot!

I have complete freewill in regard to all my actions!

I felt compelled to say that!

Greg
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #96 on: 04/09/09 @ 13:32 »

Grin

Welcome to the non-robot forum! We also have a qualia tester, which we use in certain cases, but I'll waive that procedure in this instance - you sound like a regular non-robot kinda guy!

bstaff

« Reply #97 on: 05/09/09 @ 04:28 »

Hi all!

bstaff
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #98 on: 05/09/09 @ 07:37 »

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Hangman

« Reply #99 on: 12/09/09 @ 01:43 »

Hey I'm abe. . .I am excited about reading and posting!
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #100 on: 12/09/09 @ 07:37 »

Hi Abe,

Welcome to the forum - we look forward to your contributions.

Scott

« Reply #101 on: 22/01/10 @ 13:15 »

Hello. I'm Scott. I'm a post-grad student at Lampeter University, Wales in the Philosophy Department. I'm living in Thailand right now, teaching IB TOK amongst other things. I'm here in those two guises. I use the site for my own students - I find it helpful that they can see that it's not just me... Grin I'm also hoping for some insight into the obscurity that is Kant, for the current module of my MA. I'm reading whole phrases, as in decoding them, but absolutely no meaning gets through. This is worrying, as I had thought I was middling to OK bright... but this stuff is brain-achingly obtuse.  Huh
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #102 on: 22/01/10 @ 13:58 »

Hi Scott,

Welcome (finally!) to the forum.

You are not alone: Kant will send concrete to sleep - hence the related word "cant": 'a load of tedious nonsense' (well, not really - but it would be apt if it were true!).

Please start up a Kant topic in the miscellaneous topics board and post up any queries you have. For getting to grips with the man himself, I recommend Sebastian Garner's "Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason" (Routledge), which has good summary sections and is very readable. Other than that, just read any little introductory things you can get hold of, just to help you get a hold of his general ideas. You could also try his "Groundwork to a Metaphysic of Morals", which is meant to provide an accessible and short introduction.

Hope this helps.

G.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: