Philosophy Online Forum  
10/12/10 @ 23:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 38439 times)
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #150 on: 04/10/10 @ 19:55 »

Well as long as you abide by the rules, you should be fine! No name calling, no cussin', no essay writing, no intolerance or bigotry...um...no advertising...I'm sure there were some more...no X-Factor!

Welcome to the forum.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
th3_0r4cl3

« Reply #151 on: 06/10/10 @ 10:43 »

Greetings!
Hello to whoever whatever you believe you are.
Myself, I am 40 earth years old. Married Chap with 4 kids 2 cats and 3 fish.
What do i BELIEVE i know,
Well i believe that all of Human behaviour is a choice including our beliefs
I believe that a feeling of detatchement from an external,(to themselves) force or being, has a genuine physical and rational explanation (one inspired by my children). For the first nine months of our lives we are emotionally and physically attached to another human being, that did everything for us, literally. It is a well established principal that emotional and physical stress imposed on a pregnant woman does cause physical and emotional stress to the child. When we are born we are removed from this "wholeness of supported dependant living" causing what?, an emotional void? a belief in something "out there"?
I also Believe that man is a violent aggressive self centred glutton.

I believe that this is a stupid thing to say
"I think therefore I am",
my thought
"hey dude, rocks do not think and they are",
 omg was that guy just proved wrong by a bag of rocks! how silly Cheesy

Man is capable of so much, but achieves so little, due mainly to being self centred.
We COULD irrigate enough of the planet to grow enough food for everyone, we Could provide free renewable energy for everyone and free clean fresh running water. we have the knowledge and the capability, we just lack THE WILL.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #152 on: 06/10/10 @ 10:47 »

Hi,

Descartes is stoned...?

We look forward to your contributions - welcome to the forum!

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
th3_0r4cl3

« Reply #153 on: 06/10/10 @ 10:53 »

Well as long as you abide by the rules, you should be fine! No name calling, no cussin', no essay writing, no intolerance or bigotry...um...no advertising...I'm sure there were some more...no X-Factor!

Welcome to the forum.

I have 3 daughters Gareth, i agree whole heartedly definitely NO X- FACTOR.

Man is capable of so much, but achieves so little, due mainly to being self centred.
We COULD irrigate enough of the planet to grow enough food for everyone, we Could provide free renewable energy for everyone and free clean fresh running water. we have the knowledge and the capability, we just lack THE WILL.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #154 on: 06/10/10 @ 10:58 »

We should form an "X-Factor is leading our youth down a moral sewer" group or something! Ah, the glitz and dazzle of the false lights of fame...

th3_0r4cl3

« Reply #155 on: 06/10/10 @ 11:17 »

We should form an "X-Factor is leading our youth down a moral sewer" group or something! Ah, the glitz and dazzle of the false lights of fame...

torn, on one hand i have a total dislike for the entire genre of  advertising as entertainment. 20 years ago the entertainment industry did this behind closed doors until some one figured out that they could get joe public to pay the cost of finding a "talent" and coaching and promoting  them.

And on the other, it gives me 2 hours peace when the girls are zombified infront of the tv each weekend.

Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #156 on: 06/10/10 @ 11:23 »

Ah, who wouldn't want respite from shepherding 3 daughters!

My greatest objection to it is that it presents the horrible, commercial pre-packaged pop as the holy grail of music. That other show on BBC where they at least do their own stuff is much better.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

« Reply #157 on: 25/10/10 @ 22:46 »

Just registering, interested to read some of the topics posted here in a UK forum.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #158 on: 28/10/10 @ 07:50 »

Hi There,

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your contributions - hopefully they will help us all know ourselves a little better!

callmebaka

« Reply #159 on: 12/11/10 @ 17:46 »

Grin HI! Grin
searcher

« Reply #160 on: 05/12/10 @ 18:26 »

Hello! I'd joined earlier under a pseudonym but hadn't had time to post anything.

I'm retired, and after two lifetimes (in teaching, and then in finance), I'm now back to learning about the important things in life.
I belong to a U3A philosophy group, meeting every two weeks, so I'll have lots of questions, and look forward to any help you can give me.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #161 on: 05/12/10 @ 22:49 »

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, please contribute your thoughts - we're quite a sedate group, but someone will usually reply - and I'm always around.  Grin

MoQingbird

« Reply #162 on: 08/12/10 @ 14:46 »

Job done!
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #163 on: 08/12/10 @ 15:08 »

Welcome aboard! Looking forwardcto your contributions.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: