Philosophy Online Forum  
09/03/09 @ 18:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Quotes Problem in Forum

Just a quick note to let you know that I am aware of the problem with single and double quotes in forum posts. For some reason, the forum software increases the number of quote marks. This is a known bug, and will apparently be dealt with in the software update (so, within the next couple of months I should think).

In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

Gareth.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nietzsche on himself historically  (Read 95 times)
LostInAShaftOfSunlight

but you are the music while the music lasts...

« on: 03/03/09 @ 07:45 »

How did Nietzsche view himself in the history of philosophy or in the history of ideas in general?

Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: 04/03/09 @ 10:15 »

He saw himself as a complete diversion from all that had gone before. In BGAE he constantly talks of the "free spirit" or "new philosopher" who he sees himself as one of the first examples of. He considers that no one before him had really pointed out the inherent subjectivity of many philosophies, and the link between the philosopher and his philosophy. So, this is the real shift that he sees himself as bringing about: becoming aware of our values, we can begin to mould and choose them (to a certain extent - there are always some hidden values).

A somewhat eccentric account of his own intellectual development, and a view of his own significance, can be found in his "Ecce Homo".

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: