Philosophy Online Forum  
29/04/09 @ 18:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates and Plans  (Read 628 times)
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« on: 11/03/09 @ 13:17 »

Firstly, my prayers to the magic pixies seem to have been answered, and the problem with quote marks in the forum now seems to be fixed - so, everyone: "thank you, magic pixies!" However, if anyone is still experiencing a problem, then please let me know.

Secondly, I just thought I would share with you my plans for the redevelopment of the Nietzsche section of the site. Unlike my book on Descartes, the published guide to Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil contains a pretty-much line by line summary of the text. Therefore, whilst I was happy for my summary of the Meditations to continue to appear on the site because the book is not a straight forward summary, I can't really do this with Nietzsche because it would undermine the distinctness of the book (and people could get the same stuff for free!). Obviously, the guide contains more than just the summary (critical themes, historical and philosophical background, discussion and explanation of key concepts, etc.), but it is a substantial part of the book.

So, I have come up with a compromise: I will publish the summary of the preface and first part of BGAE, and no more. There will still be general summaries (as with Descartes), but you won't be able to click on any paragraph and get an explanation (but you will find this in my book). I'm sorry about this, but I'm sure you understand. As compensation, however, I would like to encourage people to use the forum to discuss those parts of BGAE which you find problematic (some members have already started to do this), and I promise to contribute to those discussions. Eventually, I would like to formalise all discussion into topics which parallel the structure of Nietzsche's text (Part 1, Part 2, etc.), so try to keep your questions to do with specific sections if possible (though you can of course still ask general questions).

By the way, if you have any suggestions as to what should go into the Nietzsche section then please contact me. At the moment, it is envisaged that it will closely parallel the section on Descartes.

All the best,

Gareth.
« Last Edit: 11/03/09 @ 13:19 by Gareth Southwell » Logged

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
LostInAShaftOfSunlight

but you are the music while the music lasts...

« Reply #1 on: 20/03/09 @ 06:49 »

I'm sorry about this, but I'm sure you understand.

Anyone who doesn't should be kicked squarely in the groin.

The Nietzsche site is valuable as it is.  The only thing i would like to see added is the quiz section, with some kind of longer essay type question involving a larger portion of the book.  Some kind of detective job for me to cut my teeth on.

As an aside suggestion, i think the Descartes section should be modified to follow the layout of the other sites (religion, Nietzsche, knowledge...), appearing on one page as a central hub, rather than having to link to new tabs or windows every time. 

Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 20/03/09 @ 08:27 »

Indeed! Though I shouldnt' really condone violence in defence of website redesign plans...

Yes, the Nietzsche section will contain a quiz section, one (or more) longer essays, and be a general improvement on what is currently there. Also, quite excitingly, negotiations are ongoing to try to get some Nietzsche scholars to write some essays to add to the site. Changes will probably take place over the summer, I think.

I am aware that some users may find the new layout slightly less compact than that of the older sections. This was a design decision, I'm afraid, and so partly out of my hands. So, all sections will eventually follow that pattern in time. However, I'll have a word with the designer and see if there isn't something that can be done to make navigating between sections slightly easier.

Thanks for your comments Sunny!

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: