Philosophy Online Forum  
05/03/10 @ 08:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Twit's History of Philosophy  (Read 870 times)
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« on: 23/10/09 @ 18:21 »

Finally succumbing to the lure of Twitter, I realised to my surprise that - actually - it's really quite useful and interesting. Not only can you follow and chat with interesting and witty, famous and everyday folk, but you can also receive brief news updates from all the major news networks and papers, follow topics of special interest (e.g. philosophy), and get the latest on just about anything you care to mention.

Having overcome my reluctance, I then began to think what I could use it for, which is where I came up with the hilariously entitled "A Twit's History of Philosophy". My plan is to upload a daily "tweet", beginning with the very first Greek philosophers, and try to give a brief and slightly irreverent account of the development of philosophy. I will number each tweet, so that it will be possible to search back and read everything in order, but you can pick it up at any point.

For those of you already Twitter-wise, you can follow me here: @PhilosophyOnlyn (I know it's terrible, but it's the best I could do in the character limit). To find A Twit's History of Philosophy, simply search on Twitter for #ATHoP (you don't have to have a Twitter account or be logged in to do this).

For those of you yet to try Twitter, the online help pages on the site are quite good (see http://twitter.zendesk.com/forums/10711/entries).

I look forward to seeing you all there.

More generally, other developments and announcements will follow in the next few weeks, so keep checking back (or, follow me on Twitter...).

« Last Edit: 23/10/09 @ 18:23 by Gareth Southwell » Logged

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
CygnusX1

« Reply #1 on: 24/10/09 @ 14:59 »

@ Gareth…

Well done and good luck with the twitter! Must admit I tried it briefly, but as yet can't find a real use for it presently. Perhaps if they extended the post limitations to include at least a paragraph it would be even more useful?

I will keep an eye on you none-the-less,  Wink

Namaste

_/|\_

You are neither earth, water, fire, air or even ether.
For liberation know yourself as consisting of consciousness,
the witness of these.
[The Song of Ashtavakra (Ashtavakra Samhita) Chapter 1.3]
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 25/10/09 @ 10:18 »

Well, the word limit is frustrating, but it does force you to be concise! Also, if they extended the word limit, then it would be less popular (people don't generally like reading...).

I'm hoping to make the Twit's History available through the site as a feed - I'll post when I have more info.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: