Philosophy Online Forum  
13/08/10 @ 13:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compiling a Nietzsche reading list....any suggestions?  (Read 201 times)
badioutothebone

« on: 28/06/10 @ 11:22 »

Hello everyone.

I teach A level philosophy and this year my second years have struggled with the Nietzsche topic.  They're studying Beyond Good and Evil and really needed more secondary reading.  I pointed them towards some books I know are in the library, but that actually required them to do some work so they never quite got to following this up.

I've decided to write a list of useful texts and actually point directly to particular chapters so that they don't even have to do the work of finding stuff- they can just go to the library, pick up the book and turn to the page I've told them to. 

Any suggestions for useful chapters or papers that I could send the students to?  They're going to be about 17-18 years old and will be looking at the topics of the scope of philosophy (pretty much Nietzsche's perspectivism, free spirit/new philosopher), the history of morality and religious belief.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

"Ain't no devil, just God when he's drunk"  (Tom Waits).
Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: 29/06/10 @ 08:09 »

Hi BthB,

Not blowing my own trumpet, but are you using my guide to BGAE? One of the reasons I wrote the book was because there is so little that's available that is pitched at 17-18 yr olds. This should provide them with a clear understanding of the text, it's general arguments, some background, and some suggested avenues of critical evaluation.

There is also a list of secondary reading at the back. Here are the texts which I think would be most relevant to you:

For a broader perspective on Nietzsche's thought, "What Nietzsche Really Said" by Robert Solomon and Kathleen Higgins is excellent, and is perfectly pitched for your purposes. I shouldn't think many of your students will be interested in a detailed biography, but if they are, then R. J. Hollingdale's "Nietzsche: The Man and His Philosophy" is readable and interesting, and helps put everything in historical perspective. Finally, for something which has a small section on Nietzsche, but which deals with broader themes which Nietzsche would have a lot to say about, there is John Gray's "Straw Dogs", which is readable and provocative, and a good jumping off point for discussion.

Hope that helps!

G.

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
badioutothebone

« Reply #2 on: 06/07/10 @ 15:21 »

Gareth: Your trumpet should be well and truly blown, as I bought myself a copy of your book at the start of the year and the sections where you deal with the key issues at the back was indispensable.  I'm buying a class set at the start of the next term when my budget comes through.  It's certainly better than the "Briefly..." book, which wasn't so useful.

Thanks for those suggestions.  I've got "Straw Dogs" at home so I'll have a look through that section.  It's been a few years since I read it so I'll have to return to it.  If you think of anything else, let me know.

Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: 07/07/10 @ 07:44 »

Thank you indeed! I wasn't looking for any trumpet blowing - by myself or anyone else - but it's very nice to hear that the book is being used and is fit for purpose.

I'll certainly post any other suitable texts I find in the Nietzsche section - in fact, I'll move this topic there, and people can add to it when they want.

On a slightly different topic, I'm currently working on a guide to the theory of knowledge and looking for readers - might you be interested?

This site is 100% free. To support it, you can Buy Books, Buy Art, Advertise, or Pay for Tutoring. For questions, please visit the FAQs.
badioutothebone

« Reply #4 on: 08/07/10 @ 13:45 »

On a slightly different topic, I'm currently working on a guide to the theory of knowledge and looking for readers - might you be interested?

Absolutely.  I'd be more than interested and happy to help you out.

Gareth Southwell
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: 08/07/10 @ 14:20 »

Cool! I'll email you.

Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: